[R] index and by groups statement

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Sun Aug 15 06:28:54 CEST 2004

If understand you correctly, you have a variable that groups each
observations into one of eight categories. And there several hundred
observations from each category. Now, you want to sample only 100
observations from each category. It this is right, then the following
might help :

   set.seed(123)
   num <- rnorm( length(g) )                    # response variable
   g <- sample( LETTERS[1:8], 1200, replace=T ) # grouping variable
   table(g)
      A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H
    146 153 131 166 140 164 163 137

You can either store an list of 100 representative indexes (indexList)
from each category or store the value instead (valueList)

   indexList <- tapply( 1:length(g), g, function(x) sample(x, 100) )
   valueList <- tapply( num, g, function(x) sample(x, 100) )

The first is easier to double check with
   for(i in 1:8) print(mean(g[ unlist(indexList[[i]]) ] == LETTERS[i]))

If you only want the summary from these 100 sampled values, then you do
not need to store any index or value, but calculate the summary
directly. For example, lets say the median

   tapply( num, g, function(x) median( sample(x, 100) ) )

Hope this helps, Adai