[R] Re: Thanks Frank, setting graph parameters, and why social scientists don't use R

John jwdougherty at mcihispeed.net
Wed Aug 18 02:56:06 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 06:14, Roger D. Peng wrote:
> I'm just curious, but how do social scientists, or anyone else for
> that matter, learn SPSS, besides taking a class?

They sit down with a book, a computer, and data they desperately need to
analyze and start working.  SPSS documentation and some of the third party
works are fairly thorough, and pretty gentle, and the writings fits the
expectations of someone who has had only the initiatory stats courses.  Your
teacher emphasizes checking the normality of the data, so you look for the
means of measuring it and the tests that tell you whether it is significant
or not, after very carefully considering the nature of your data in the light
of the assumptions made in the SPSS tests make.  You are far less concerned
with the real mathematical mechanics than you are about meeting the
expectations of the professor.  SPSS, SYSTAT, NCSS and similar programs all
support this kind work.  Many social science professors don't really know
enough to judge your work beyond similar expectations THEY learned from their
own professors.  It's sad, but the way it works in many schools.