[R] RMySQL, Solaris and getopt????

Roggie Boone rogboone at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 16:01:20 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've been struggling with RMySQL installation
for several days.  I'm running Solaris 2.9
and MySQL 4.0. RMySQL (v0.4.3) seems to install
OK, but when I load it in R I get the message:
-------
> library(RMySQL)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local),
as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/local/rboone/SOFTWARE/R-1.9.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so":
  ld.so.1: /local/rboone/SOFTWARE/R-1.9.1/bin/R.bin:
fatal: relocation error: file
/local/rboone/SOFTWARE/R-1.9.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so:
symbol getopt_long: referenced symbol not found
Error in library(RMySQL) : .First.lib failed
-------

It appears that getopt_long is not linked in.
It does not appear to be in the standard libs
on Solaris (I am on a campus network and use
our network version of gcc compiler).
In the RMySQL distribution, I
see source code for getopt.c and getopt.h, but
I don't understand what to do with them.  I tried
"gcc -c getopt.c -o getopt.o" but it produced
a screenfull of parse errors, etc.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try?
Thanks,
Roggie Boone