[R] List dimention labels to plots of components

White, Charles E WRAIR-Wash DC charles.edwin.white at us.army.mil
Thu Aug 19 23:17:06 CEST 2004

It is frustrating to see the labels I want in the dimensions of a list but not be able to extract those labels into titles for plots generated from component objects. If someone could set me straight, I would appreciate it. For your amusement, I have provided an example of the Byzantine code I am currently using to avoid loops:

# Simulate ANOVA type test data
sex<-c(rep(1,8),rep(0,8))
dose<-c(rep(1,4),rep(0,4))
treatment<-c(rep(1,2),rep(0,2))
fix<-sex+dose+treatment
Response<-fix+rnorm(16)
Sex<-rep("Male",16)
Sex[sex==0]<-"Female"
Dose<-rep("High",16)
Dose[dose==0]<-"Low"
Treatment<-rep("A",16)
Treatment[treatment==0]<-"B"
dat<-data.frame(Sex,Dose,Treatment,fix,Response)

# Redundant Transfer and Execution of Dimension ID?
mymod<-function(x){
  model<-lm(Response~Sex,data=x)
  list(model,Dose=x$Dose[1],Treatment=x$Treatment[1])}
myplt<-function(x){
  plot(x[[1]],main=paste(x$Dose,"/",x$Treatment,sep=""))}

# Generate list of Model Estimates
dat.lm<-by(dat,list(Dose=dat$Dose,Treatment=dat$Treatment),mymod)

# Execute plots with labels
pdf(file="junk.pdf",height=7.5,width=10)
par(mfrow=c(2,2))
bitbucket<-lapply(dat.lm,myplt)
dev.off()

Charles E. White, Senior Biostatistician, MS
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
503 Robert Grant Ave., Room 1w102
Silver Spring, MD 20910-1557
301 319-9781