[R] stem() bug?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 10:17:08 CEST 2004

It is as intended.  The answer is correct but your interpretation of it is
not, and the help page is woefully lacking.

Note that the bins in your problem are [20, 40), [40, 60), [60, 80) and
[80, 100) and they are correctly labelled.  In such bins e.g. 20 and 30
are both represented in the same way.

Does stem(seq(30, 92, 5)) help you see the pattern?

Please would one of those bemoaning R's documentation recently submit to
R-bugs an enhanced help page for stem?