[R] Help using Hmisc / Latex

Kevin Bartz kbartz at loyaltymatrix.com
Wed Aug 25 19:32:49 CEST 2004

I'm afraid you need to modify your approach. You're trying to pass latex an
lm object, which latex doesn't know how to handle. Also, latex isn't
supposed to produce a full .tex file; it generates just a "core" that's
loaded into a "shell" when you run dvi.

Here's an example of how you might use it appropriately:

l <- latex(summary(lm(b ~ a, data.frame(a = 1:5, b = 1:5)))$coefficients)
d <- dvi(l)

If you want the full .tex file, you can read the console output after
running dvi(l) to find out where the .tex tempfile lives and copy it over to
someplace usable. Obviously, you'll have to tweak the row and column names
as well as the rounding to suit your preferences.

If you're just looking for graphical output--not necessarily a .tex file--I
have a function grid.table, now being rolled into a package I will soon
release, which uses grid to place a data frame (neatly) on the graphics
device. You could then wrap the command around a pdf(), postscript() or any
other device to produce an appropriate display. Let me know if you'd like me
to send over my working version of the binaries.

Kevin