[R] labels on secondary y axis

Louize Hill louize99 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 02:34:15 CEST 2004

Hi,
I have plotted a graph and used a secondary axis as follows:

plot (d$Year, d$HrFishing, type='l', col='1', xlab='Year', ylab='Effort
(hours/fishing)')
par(new=TRUE)
plot (d$Year, d$Landings, type='l', col='3', xlab='', ylab='')
axis(4)

However, if I put a label in the 2nd ylab='' it is placed over the 1st ylab,
on the left hand side.
Clearly label in the axis command is not what I want as that erases my tick
marks, and ylab generates errors here!
Please can someone give me a pointer on what I should be using.
Thanks
Louize

PS - how long do postings take to get in the archives - I remember seeing
something about scale values (pure numeric?) this week, I erased it and now
I discover I need to follow the advice!