[R] Adding labels to variables

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Aug 26 04:03:04 CEST 2004

      Mon Dieu!

      I realize that I'm not part of r-devel, but for what it's worth, I
vastly prefer commands and programming styles that produce code that can
run without change in both S-Plus and R.  Any move to obsolete in R a
command commonly used in S-Plus would just make life more difficult for
those of us who have to live in both the S-Plus and R worlds.  In my
judgment, where S-Plus and R currently differ, there usually seems to be
a good reason, and R is usually superior.  One example is the "log"
options in the probability functions.

      The suggestion to introduce "usePackage" and obsolete "library"
reminds me of a 6 week delay in the introduction in France of a US
automobile, because the French Royal Academy failed to produce without a
substantial delay an official French word for a new technical term.  The
automobile could not be sold without the User's Manual in French, and it
could not be printed without the approval of the French Royal Academy
for new words.

      just my 2e-12 cents.  spencer graves