[R] suggestions motivated by quest for remainders

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Mon Aug 30 17:59:47 CEST 2004

Ben Wittner <bwittner <at> jimmy.harvard.edu> writes:

: Some time ago I tried to find out how to compute remainders in R.
: I now know that it is done with %%, which is documented in help('+'),
: but before someone told me that I tried:
:   help('remainder'), help.search('remainder'), apropos('remainder')
:   help('modulo'), help.search('modulo'), and apropos('modulo')
: all of which yielded nothing.
: I then tried help.search('mod') which yielded many pages of output, none
: of which seemed to be relevant to remainders.

Any of these google searches will find it:

  R modulus
  site:r-project.org modulus
  r-project.org modulus

The first hit on the first two give a thread on r-help which, if followed,
gives the answer.  The first hit on the third points to Jonathan Baron's
reference card which has it.

Also if you go to the R web site, click on search in the left hand pane
and try some of the R specific site searches -- these will also find it.

Finally, the R language manual, obtainable under windows by going into R
and clicking on Help and then Manual and then R Language Manual or in
doc/manual subdirectory in the R directory on your disk.

None of this is not to say that the help should not point to it, of course.