[R] FIML in lme

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Mon Aug 30 19:04:23 CEST 2004

I'm not sure you are correct on this. Other texts on multilevel models
(e.g., Raudenbush and Bryk, Kreft and Deeuw, and Singer & Willett) all
use FiML as a synonym for ML. In fact, Kreft and Deleeuw go as far to
even state they are the same thing (see page 131).

When you run a model in HLM selecting "Full Maximum Likelihood" and
method="ML" in lme, the results, including all fixed effects, variance
components, empirical bayes residuals, degrees of freedom are exactly
the same.

So, I think Doug is correct in that ML == FiML.

Harold