[R] step.gam

Simon Wood simon at stats.gla.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 18:07:43 CET 2004

> Dave Roberts discusses R/S-plus (or mgcv/gam package level) gam fitting
> in ecological context at
> http://labdsv.nr.usu.edu/splus_R/lab5/lab5.html. You may find some
> useful hints here, as Dave is partial to the traditional S-plus gam as
> well.

This looks good to me, too. One or two things have changed since it was
written, though - in particular mgcv does have summary and anova methods,
and mgcv::gam can handle smooth interactions using s() or te() terms
(gam::gam can handle smooth interactions using lo() terms, which behave
more like mgcv s() terms rather than te() terms).

Simon