[R] Re: Protocol for answering basic questions

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Wed Dec 1 18:52:31 CET 2004

I think that enough bandwidth has been expended on this topic.  Many
people have attempted, patiently, to explain why the protocol to
which the r-help list currently adhers is necessary and close to
optimal.  The thin-skinned whiners who wish to be told ``Yes, dear,
that was an ***excellent*** question'' are not going to listen to or
understand these explanations.  If they wish to take their business
elsewhere, let them.  They won't be missed.  (It will do them less
than no good, in the long run, to do so --- but that's their lookout.)

I don't know if there is a causative relationship, but this whiny
attitude is strongly reminiscent of the philosophy which seems to
prevail in most school systems in the English speaking world whereby
teachers dare not criticize students' work for fear of damaging their
self esteem.

				cheers,

					Rolf Turner
					rolf at math.unb.ca

P. S.  And here I was, all these years, thinking that
       ``self esteem'' was Italian for ``sauna''.

					R. T.