[R] R on Irix 6.5 fails when trying to load external data?

William Faulk wfaulk at icoria.com
Wed Dec 1 22:45:08 CET 2004

I've previously installed R on Solaris and everything went fine there.

I'm now trying to install on Irix 6.5 (about which, unfortunately, I
have less than thorough knowledge) and it is failing.  R itself seems to
be working okay.  Initially, Irix's dumb make program didn't understand
some Makefile syntax in the tests, so I just ignored them and installed it.

After the installation, I tried to run some demos, but when I typed
demo(graphics), for example, it said "Error in demo(graphics) : No demo
found for topic 'graphics'".  But when I copied-and-pasted the commands
from doing the same thing under Solaris, everything worked fine.  Until
I got to the commands that tried to deal with the iris dataset, to which
it responded:

> Error in pairs(iris[1:4], main = "Edgar Anderson's Iris Data", font.main = 4,  :
>         Object "iris" not found

So I started over and built gmake for Irix, hoping that the Irix make
had done something wrong somewhere, but other than not having to tweak
the check makefiles, nothing seems to be fixed.  Now that I can get the
tests to run, the first test fails also due to not being able to load
external datasets:

> > sw <- swiss[1:5, 1:4]  # select a manageable subset
> Error: Object "swiss" not found
> Execution halted

I don't know what's failing to load.  The files iris.R and swiss.R would
seem to be in the proper locations, but, then again, neither Solaris nor
Irix system call traces show R trying to open them at any point.

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers.  It's
important to note that I know virtually nothing about R -- I'm just a
sysadmin asked to install R for the real users -- so treat me like an idiot.

-Bitt Faulk