[R] Protocol for answering basic questions

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Dec 2 03:52:34 CET 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:55:53 +0100, Carlos Javier Gil Bellosta
<cjgb at wanadoo.es> wrote:

>Over the years, while learning C, Java or Python, I have found very
>useful a few IRC channels on those languages where one could get (and
>provide!!) peer-to-peer support. Should a rather informal, open and
>publicited one exist for R, I believe it could channel many of these
>basic questions and, probably, many others some novices do not dare ask.

As far as I know, there is currently no IRC channel on R.  Why not set
one up?  (I've got no idea what is involved in that.)  You'll need to
attract participants to it.  Various ways are:

  - announce on this mailing list when you have created it.
  - put a note about it in your signature
  - use it, and be helpful to other users on it
  - get a mention of it on an appropriate r-project.org page.

I've never used IRC and wouldn't be likely to be a participant (in
general I dislike live online chat), but to each his own.

Duncan Murdoch