[R] How about a mascot for R?

Thu Dec 2 17:38:20 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:12 -0500, Damian Betebenner wrote:
> R users,
>
> How come R doesn't have a mascot? Linux has one and so does LaTeX, so
> shouldn't R? I personally think that associating a "friendly face"
> with R would be a good thing for R (one letter names can be quite
> intimidating).
>
> I apologize if this is addressed in the FAQ. I searched the FAQ as
> well as the mailing list archives and checked
>
> ?mascot
>
> but to no avail. ;-)

Well...curiously, O'Reilly has selected the Ram for the cover of an as
yet unpublished work on R for Bioinformatics:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059600544X

What is interesting, is that the Ram (in a different pose) is already
used for the well known Perl Cookbook:

Does that mean that O'Reilly is running out of iconic animals?

Perhaps we need another graphics contest amongst the artistically
challenged useR's for a mascot?

< Sorry Paul :-) >

Marc