[R] Odd underflow(?) error

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 4 12:45:24 CET 2004

    TL> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, William Faulk wrote:
    >> I'm still trying to install R on my Irix machine.  Now I have a new problem
    >> that crops up during the checks.  I've found the root cause, and it's that R
    >> is returning zero for certain things for reasons I don't understand.
    >>
    >> 2.225073859e-308, entered directly into R, responds "2.225074e-308".
    >> 2.225073858e-308 responds "0".
    >>
    >> Their negative values respond similarly, so it would appear that somewhere in
    >> there is the smallest absolute value that that installation of R will hold.

    TL> Yes.  .Machine$double.xmin tells you the smallest number representable to
    TL> full precision, which is 2.225074e-308 (I think on all machines where R
    TL> works)

    >> On another machine where the checks passed, both responses are correct, not
    >> just the first one.  The underflow there is significantly lower, with much
    >> less accuracy, as opposed to what seems to be good accuracy on what looks
    >> like the broken one.  The values there are:
    >>
    >> 2.4703282293e-324 gives 4.940656e-324
    >> 2.4703282292e-324 gives 0

    TL> Machines can differ in what they do with numbers smaller than
    TL> .Machine$double.xmin. They can report zero, or they can add leading zeros
    TL> and so lose precision.  Suppose you had a 4-digit base 10 machine with 2
    TL> digits of exponent.  The smallest number representable to full accuracy
    TL> would be
    TL> 1.000e-99
    TL> but by allowing the leading digits to be zero you could represent
    TL> 0.001e-99
    TL> ie, 1e-102, to one digit accuracy (these are called "denormalized"
    TL> numbers).

    TL> My Mac laptop denormalizes, and agrees with your other computer, giving
    TL> the smallest representable number as 4.940656e-324. It is
    TL> .Machine$double.xmin/2^52.   This number has very few bits left to
    TL> represent values, so for example
    >> (a/2^52)*1.3==(a/2^52)
    TL> [1] TRUE
    TL> where a is .Machine$double.xmin

(very nice explanation, thanks Thomas!)

    TL> Both your machines should be correct. I don't think we deliberately
    TL> require denormalized numbers to work anywhere.

yes, indeed.
I can imagine that some of regression tests (aka "validation" !)
implicitly use some property -- but as Thomas said, that's not
deliberate (and a buglet in our tests).

William, could you move this topic from R-help to R-devel and
give more specifics about what is failing for your installation?

Martin