[R] VR package not found for R version 1.9.1

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Dec 6 21:48:23 CET 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:02:12 -0800, "Moises Hassan"
<mhassan at scitegic.com> wrote :

>I'm trying to install the VR package for version 1.9.1 but I'm getting
>the following error message:
>

>> install.packages("VR")
>
>trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.9/PACKAGES'
>
>Content type `text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1' length 20716 bytes
>
>opened URL
>
>downloaded 20Kb
>

>trying URL
>`http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.9/VR_7.2-11.zip'
>
>Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>
>        cannot open URL
>`http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.9/VR_7.2-11.zip'
>
>In addition: Warning message:
>
>cannot open: HTTP status was `404 Not Found'
>

>Any workarounds?

The problem is that sometimes the automatic updater at CRAN deletes an
old version, then fails to download the update.

The workarounds are to wait a day or two, to try a different version
of R (version 2.0.1 succeeds in getting VR now), or to build the
package from source (which requires a number of tools to be installed;
see R for Windows FAQ "3.1 Can I install packages into libraries in
this version?" for details).

Duncan Murdoch