[R] akima

Thomas Petzoldt petzoldt at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Tue Dec 7 07:55:49 CET 2004

Erin Hodgess wrote:
> There is a contributed package called "Akima" which
> has the akima function.
>
> R Version 2.0.1
> Windows
>
> The akima is from October 2004, so it is up to date.

Yes I know. But, unfortunately package akima contains a different
algorithm meant for "bivariate interpolation and smooth surface
fitting", but what I wanted was an interpolation algorithm for
univariate functions similar to splines, but which is according to the
author "closer to a manually drawn curve than those drawn by other
mathematical methods". (AFAIK the only disadvantage is, that the second
derivative is not continuous.)

The FORTRAN algorithm is available on the ACM portal and in several
other online resources and I wonder, why it is not yet available in one
of the numerous contributed packages. If this is not the case I should
write an R interface to it, but for a single function it would be nice
not to write a new package, but to include it somewhere.

Thomas P.