[R] How about a mascot for R?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Dec 7 18:45:05 CET 2004

      I prefer not to consider the implications of associating ourselves
with something extinct.  Beyond that, I'm more into reptiles that
insects.   On the other hand, I don't care much.  I'm happy with the
status quo and would be happy with whatever others decide.

      Best Wishes,
      spencer graves

Robert Gentleman wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>
>> Thomas Yee <t.yee at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>>     ps. Ross has Maori origins, so a native NZ animal is a better idea
>>     than usual.
>>
>> The native animals of New Zealand include no mammals except for
>> - marine mammals in the coastal waters, such as the Hector's dolphin
>> - a few species of bat which got blown over from Australia.
>> Otherwise, there are birds, reptiles, insects, and a few oddballs.
>> The most notable oddballs would be Tuataras, famous for their third
>> eye.
>> We have some onychophorans, of which it has been said that
>> "Contemporary Onychophorans are able to predate organisms several times
>> larger than themselves" (take _that_, SAS!)....
>> Wetas are quite interesting; they are basically grasshoppers some of
>> which
>> played the ecological role of (and are about the same size as) mice.
>>

> Hi,
>   We had a brief discussion and narrowed it to two, coincidentally
> among those named by Richard. The tuatara (there is some charm in
> associating a software product with what is essentially a slow moving
> dinosaur) and the weta (for those unaware, one might also describe it
> as a grasshopper designed by the Pentagon - these have some serious
> armor plating and a ferocious grip). Of course this is one of many
> views, kiwis, kokakos etc have lots of charm as well - and I think
> New  Zealand might lay some claim to the giant squid. No need to stick
> with  non-extinct things either - I suspect the dodo is up for grabs.
> And on  the NZ front the Moa or the Haast eagle.
>
> Ross and Robert
>
>> I suspect that only birds have the "cuddly" appeal required of a
>> mascot.
>> Perhaps it's worth pointing out that Kiwis are a kind of Ratite.

> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----+
> | Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700            |
> | Head, Program in Computational Biology
> fax:                              |
> | Division of Public Health Sciences       office:
> M2-B865                   |
> | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center   email:
> rgentlem at fhcrc.org         |

Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567