[R] Importing vector graphics into R

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Wed Dec 8 15:21:58 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 15:53, Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:
> On 08-Dec-04 Roger Bivand wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Hinrich Göhlmann wrote:
> >
> >> Dear R users,
> >>
> >> I know of the possibility to import bitmaps via the nice
> >> pixmap library.
> >>     But if you later on create a PDF it is somewhat
> >> disappointing to have such graphics bitmapped. Is there
> >> a trick (via maps?) to import a vector graphic and have
> >> them plotted onto a graph? My searching attempts in the
> >> searchable r-help archive did not seem to result in anything
> >> useful...
> >
> > No, nothing obvious. If you have an Xfig file - or convert to
> > one from PS,
>
> How does one do that? None of the tools I can find on my (Linux)
> system seem to include the possibility of PS->Xfig (or any other
> vector format either, except of course PDF).

pstoedit. May not be in standard distros, but can be compiled from the
source. Here we have even used pstoedit in post-processing eps graphs
from R. It works in some cases, but, for instance, lattice graphic was
made of polygons instead of lines, and we couldn't change line widths
for horizontal lines only in panel headers.

This is what pstoedit gives for version info:

pstoedit: version 3.33 / DLL interface 108 (build Oct 17 2003 - release
build) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2003 Wolfgang Glunz

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>