[R] Percentages in contingency tables *warning trivial question*

BXC (Bendix Carstensen) bxc at steno.dk
Mon Dec 13 12:36:48 CET 2004

This is one of the holes in the tabulation features in R.
The simplest feature needed in the one in addmargins, but
tabulation is still rudimentary in R.

I'm afraid that what you want would reqire:

1. Make the table of counts
2. Make the table of percentages by sweeping out a margin
   ( i.e. take the margin and divide the entire table by that,
     - sweeping is just the generalization of this; use any
     desired function instesd of "/" )
3. Define a new table with an extra dimension (c("N","pct")) and
   fill in the two original tables there.

The last step is necessary in the absence of a generalized cbind/rbind
for tables/arrays.

Please correct me if such a thing exists. If it does, it should be
referenced under "see also" in the help page for cbind.

The weird example in addmargins only covers the case where a table of
percentages is wanted with a margin of total counts, not the general
problem.

Somebody should sit down a write a reasonable tabulation feature for R,
but the problem in itself is complcated, so the syntax is likely to be
arcane. For example, take a look at the syntax for proc tabulate in SAS,
which is very strange, but given the features it covers (which are all
desirable) it is difficult to come up with something simpler.

Bendix Carstensen
----------------------
Bendix Carstensen
Senior Statistician