[R] R 2.0.1 and RODBC install problem

doktora v doktora at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 18:48:35 CET 2004

Hi all,

I try to install the RODBC to no avail. Where is sql.h and sqltext.h
supposed to come from? I don't have such files anywhere on my hdd!

After downloading latest RODBC.tar.gz, I do
R CMD INSTALL RODBC

and get the following:

* Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for library containing SQLTables... -lodbc
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
gcc -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC  -g -O2
-c RODBC.c -o RODBC.o
RODBC.c:23:17: sql.h: No such file or directory
RODBC.c:24:20: sqlext.h: No such file or directory
RODBC.c:44: error: parse error before "SQLCHAR"
RODBC.c:44: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
RODBC.c:45: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
RODBC.c:46: error: parse error before "DataType"

[... goes on like this for a while, throughtout RODBC.c ...]

make: *** [RODBC.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'RODBC'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/RODBC'
** Restoring previous '/usr/local/lib/R/library/RODBC'