[R] ROracle/DBI problem with dbExecStatement on RH Linux

Sunny Ho sunny.ho at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 06:53:30 CET 2004

Hi Simon,

I believe you are not using the right syntax for dbExecStatement(). In
particular, you should first use dbPrepareStatement, then
dbExecStatement to execute a "prepared" statement. You may do a "?
dbExecStatement" to read their usage. After some experimenting, I
found that using dbSendQuery is much easier for the 'select' operation
(the name 'Query' may imply that it is written just for the purpose of
'select'). For other operations (insert & delete, etc), then
dbPrepareStatement & dbExecStatement could be more appropriate.

My 2 cents, it is worth the effort to read the ROracle.pdf that comes
with the ROracle package.

Sunny Ho (sunny.ho at gmail.com)