[R] Slashdot thread references R/Quantian and another new R/S-PLUS book pending

Tue Dec 14 15:13:45 CET 2004

Greetings all,

Just a quick heads up that there is a Slashdot thread this morning on
Open Source Math Software for Education, which includes references to R
and Dirk's Quantian distribution (among others). The thread is at:

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/04/12/13/2355258.shtml?tid=185&tid=4

The OP's query was targeted for high school to first year college age
students, but as is typical with Slashdot, the scope of the dialog tends
to wander....

Also, I was reading the latest issue of Amstat News and noted that there
is a new book from Springer on R/S-PLUS pending by Professor Brian
Everitt called "An R And S-Plus Companion To Multivariate Analysis". The
book appears to be due to be release next month. The link for the
Springer site is:

http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,4-40109-22-34953445-0,00.html

and the Amazon.com link is:

Professor Everitt's prior related work, co-authored with Dr. Sophia
Rabe-Hesketh, is "Analyzing Medical Data Using S-PLUS" also from
Springer, which along with the other related books that I have, provided
a solid reference when I started using R a few years ago.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz