[R] german umlaut problem under MacOS

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Wed Dec 15 14:56:28 CET 2004

I did not find this in the archive (hope it isn't there...):

the current release of R (2.0.1) for MacOS (10.3.6) seems not to handle
german special characters like 'ü' correctly:

 > f <- 'ü'

can be entered at the prompt, but echoing the variable yields

[1] "\303\274"  (I think the unicode of the character)

and inserting, for instance

text(1,2,f)

in some plot seems to insert two characters (ü) (probably an
interpretation of the first and second group of the unicode?).

I believe, this is a R problem or is there a simple configuration switch?

thanks

joerg