[R] SAS or R software

Alexander C Cambon accamb01 at louisville.edu
Fri Dec 17 23:11:57 CET 2004

I apologize for adding this so late to the "SAS or R software " thread.
This is a question, not a reply, but it seems to me to fit in well with
the subject of this thread.

I would like to know anyone's experiences in the following two areas
below.  I should add I have no experience myself in these areas:

1) Migrating from SAS to R in the choice of statistical software used
for FDA  reporting.

 (For example, was there more effort involved in areas of
documentation, revision tracking,  or validation of software codes?)

2) Migrating from SAS to R in the choice of statistical software used
for NIH reporting  (or other US or non-US) government agencies) .

I find myself using R more and more and being continually amazed by its
breadth of capabilities, though I have not tried ordering pizza yet. I
use SAS, S-Plus, and, more recently, R for survival analysis and
recurrent events in clinical trials.

Alex Cambon
Biostatistician
School of Public Health and Information Sciences
University of Louisville