[R] erro in SVM (packsge "e1071")

David Meyer david.meyer at wu-wien.ac.at
Sun Dec 19 14:23:07 CET 2004

Joao:

The reported error message is not from e1071.
How *exactly* did you call svm()?

As to the documentation of the nu parameter: yes, this is an omission,
of course, nu is used in nu-regression as well; thanks for pointing this
out.

best,
David

---------

Hello,

I am using SVM under e1071 package for nu-regression with 18 parameters.
The
variables are ordered factors, factors, date or numeric datatypes. I use
the
linear kernel.
It gives the following error that I cannot solve. I tryed debug, browser
and
all that stuff, but no way.
The error is:

Error in get(ctr, mode = "function", envir = parent.frame())(levels(x),
:
        Orthogonal polynomials cannot be represented accurately enough
for 236
degrees of freedom

I use the nu parameter. However, reading ?svm help it says "parameter
needed
for 'nu-classification' and 'one-classification'". Does not say anything
about
nu-regression. It is an omission in the ?svm help page? Or am I
notundestanding something?

I believe it has something to do with the calculus of the eigenvalues.
Anyway
how can I overpass this problem? Increasing the training data (is around
900
records)?

Thanks for any help

Joao

--
Dr. David Meyer
Department of Information Systems

Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 2-6, A-1090 Wien, Austria, Europe
Fax: +43-1-313 36x746
Tel: +43-1-313 36x4393
HP:  http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/~meyer/