[R] Producing "Editable" Graphs for PowerPoint

Michael Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 20 15:05:49 CET 2004

Paul--

It is hard to fight the tide, even when it contains sewage, but (you
probably agree) this is an idiotic requirement.  Not only does this
journal want to change your work (which journals do much too much), they
also want you to help them use of low-class tools to do so.

You could try asking the journal to tell you what changes they feel are
needed & promising to make them yourself.  That's what I would do, but
there's no guarantee it will succeed.

An alternative would be to make EPS files from R and send them to them.
The XP version (and presumably above) of MSPP can import and edit EPS
files. If the journal doesn't like the *way* it edits them, well, what
can you do?  Maybe that will allow you to gently suggest that their
requirement is all wet.

We need somehow to restore the roles of authors and journals.  Authors
are supposed to write the stuff, and journals figure how to get it into
print.  Somewhere along the line, journals have taken on all the
prerogatives of collaborators.  It seems to me that is a conflict of
interest.

Good luck!

Regards,
...Mike