[R] Interest in commercial support for R, R-metrics and relat ed packages

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Dec 20 21:06:47 CET 2004

Spotfire communicates with R and S-PLUS via SOAP (in R's case, via Greg
Warnes' RSOAP server).  I would guess that `linking' at that level with GPL
software does not make the code on the Spotfire side GPL.  The two systems
don't even have to live on the same computer (and most likely, don't).

Just my $0.02...

Andy

> From: Spencer Graves
>
>       A representative from Spotfire (www.spotfire.com) told
> me they can
> link to S-Plus and R, and they use those links to produce custom code
> for customers.  By the General Public License (GPL), Spotfire is
> required to offer under the GPL the code for how they link to R, but
> they don't have to make publicly available the code for their core
> product.  Also, I don't think they have to make publicly
> available the
> code they write for customers as long as they are selling consulting
> services and not software.
>
>       This may or may not help you, since Spotfire does not focus
> primarily on financial services.
>
>       spencer graves
>
> Seshasayanan Pratap wrote:
>
> >I am a partner at Assembla, a software services group that
> helps companies
> >make use of open source techniques and software. We have
> been asked by a
> >company in the financial services sector to provide support
> for their use of
> >R, Rmetrics and possibly SciViews.
> >
> >I am trying to locate other companies in the financial
> services industry
> >that might be interested in commercial support for R,
> Rmetrics and/or other
> >R packages used for financial analysis. I would like to
> understand what type
> >of services - such as technical support, custom development,
> versions tuned
> >for financial analysis, user conferences/workshops, etc - would be
> >interesting to users of R.
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Sesha Pratap
> >

> ><http://ps3pub.psteering.com/assembla/discussion/discussion_c
reate.jsp?objec
>tId=fs000080000g1asihvp0000000&parent=fs000080000g1sc50c0g000000> Reply
>

>	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567