[R] Importing vector graphics into R

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 20 23:32:39 CET 2004

Hi

Sorry to join this thread late.  As a couple of people have pointed out,
no general solution exists currently.  It's an interesting problem
though and something that I have experimented with in a couple of ways
in the past.  I have written down some thoughts about the issues and
described a couple of experiments;  it's all very rough at this stage
and would need a lot of polishing and packaging to be widely useful, but
you might want to take a look at
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/R/Import/import.html
and particularly the further link
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/R/Import/importvector.html

Paul

Hinrich Göhlmann wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions!
>
> Even though they are less than encouraging, I quickly want to give you
> the rational why I have asked this. Actually I was inspired by Paul
> Murrell's useR presentation - have a look at the very last slide of his
> presentation which you can find at
> http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/Talks/useR2004.pdf - If only this
> kind of functionality could be generalized to any vector graphics... Oh,
> well, still pixmap gives a solution for the moment and that's ok. Thanks
> again!
>
> Cheers,
> hinrich   d8-)
>

> Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Hinrich Göhlmann wrote:
>>

>>> Dear R users,
>>>
>>> I know of the possibility to import bitmaps via the nice pixmap
>>> library.    But if you later on create a PDF it is somewhat
>>> disappointing to have such graphics bitmapped. Is there a trick (via
>>> maps?) to import a vector graphic and have them plotted onto a graph?
>>> My searching attempts in the searchable r-help archive did not seem
>>> to result in anything useful...
>>

>> No, nothing obvious. If you have an Xfig file - or convert to one from
>> PS,
>> you may be able to extract the lines with their attributes by hand (the
>> file is just text, so you can "see" the vector graphics), and write an R
>> function to plot them (rescaled) onto the device if you need a single
>> graphical element many times. Otherwise, perhaps edit the graphics file
>> after R has completed its work. None of the vector map formats is easy to
>> use for this kind of trick, especially because you probably need
>> attributes on the lines (thickness, colour).
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> hinrich   d8-)

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics