[R] Creating a vector of colours that are as different from one another as possible

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 12:05:56 CET 2004

Hi

I want to create a vector of colors that are as different from one
another as possible.  ?rainbow states "Conceptually, all of these
functions actually use (parts of) a line cut out of the 3-dimensional
color space...".  This suggests to me that the resulting colors are all
placed on this "line" and are equi-distant along it.  The resulting
color palette is a range of colours where adjacent colours are actually
quite similar, especially when n (the number of colours) is high.

Conceptually I guess what I want is colors from a 3D polygon in 3D
colour space, where the number of vertices in the polygon is n,
resulting in a color palette where the colors are all quite different
from one another.  Is this possible or am I talking crap? (I've only had
one coffee this morning)

Thanks in advance
Mick