[R] Creating packages in windoze: *** [indices] Error 1

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Dec 23 00:34:02 CET 2004

Niels Waller <niels.waller <at> vanderbilt.edu> writes:

:
: Dear R community,
:
: I am running R 2.0.1 on a Windoze XP OS.  I recently upgraded from R 1.9x to
: 2.0.1 and I am currently
: upgrading a my personal function packages. My other packages compiled
: without
: a hitch but I am having a difficult time with my largest package.
: Can someone please help me with the following error message
: "Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 1)"
:
: I have searched the "Creating R packages"
: manual but have been unable to determine how to solve my problem.
:
: Thank you in advance for any and all help.
:
: Niels Waller
: Vanderbilt University
:
: H:\R\rw2001\src\gnuwin32>rcmd build --binary --use-zip taxon
: * checking for file 'taxon/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
: installing R.css in h:/TEMP/Rbuild.1020
:
: ---------- Making package taxon ------------
:   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
:   installing R files
:   installing inst files
:   installing data files
:   installing man source files
:   installing indices
: Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 1
: Execution halted
: make[2]: *** [indices] Error 1
: make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
: make: *** [pkg-taxon] Error 2
: *** Installation of taxon failed ***
:
: Removing 'h:/TEMP/Rbuild.1020/taxon'
:  ERROR
: * installation failed
:
: * building 'taxon_2.0-0.zip'
:         zip warning: name not matched: taxon
:
: zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -r9X
: H:/R/rw2001/src/gnuwin32/taxon_2.0-0.zip . -i taxon)
:
: H:\R\rw2001\src\gnuwin32>echo rcmd rd2dvi.sh --pdf taxon
: rcmd rd2dvi.sh --pdf taxon
: H:\R\rw2001\src\gnuwin32>
:

I have found that the messages are not necessarily informative of what
the problem is.  I suggest you try sourcing each of your source files into
R to see if it chokes on any of them.

If that does not work take half out of your package and rebuild and
continue using binary search until you have narrowed it down to the
culprit.