[R] tcltk problem

Thu Dec 23 18:32:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 11:32 -0500, Liviu M Vladutu wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have R Version 2.1.0 installed on a box running Redhat Fedora Core 2.

Are you really running 2.1.0 (which is an unreleased development
version) or are you running 2.0.1, which is the present released
version?

What does the banner indicate when you first start R?

How did you install R (compile from source or use one of Martyn's RPMS)?

Also, please run the following command from a console and post the
results back:

rpm -q tcl tcl-devel

> When I try:
> library()
> it shows the package tcltk.
>
> But if I try:
> library(tcltk) I get the same error message like in this thread:
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/01c/3418.html
>
> The same, tcl and tk are installed in /usr/lib; if I try:
> capabilities("tcltk")
>
> I get:
> tcltk
> FALSE

As is indicated in the above post you referenced, this suggests that you
compiled from source, but R did not locate the requisite files during
the configure process.

> I cant' find tcltk.so

Run the following command in a console and post the results back:

locate tcltk.so

> Any suggestions please?
> Thx in advance and Merry Xmas!
> Liviu

Please provide the above information and we can help further.

Marc Schwartz