[R] Prosodic/phonetic analysis with R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Dec 26 12:09:26 CET 2004

(Ted Harding) wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm interested in looking (in a beginner's amateurish way)
> at prosodic/phonetic analysis of recorded speech.
>
> In particular I would want to use R to formulate and
> evaluate specific models.
>
> So I would like to ask R people for their recommendations
> for a program which would
>
> a) Take as input a sound file in one of the common formats
>    (".wav", ".au")

Ted,

see package tuneR for reading Wave files.

> b) perform at least basic phonetic analysis (formants, F0,
>    spectrograms, ... )

For F0 and spectograms see also tuneR.

"Formants" is a bit more tricky. We tried some analyses, but since the
definition of a formant is still not completly clear to me, we haven't
provided anything for formants in the package yet. Do you know some good
literature that gives a somwhat precise definition? At least musicias
only talk about something like "raised" areas in the periodogram, which
is not very helpful given the missing definition of "raised".

Uwe