[R] Prosodic/phonetic analysis with R

Shravan Vasishth shravan.vasishth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 13:02:05 CET 2004

You might want to look at EMU:

http://emu.sourceforge.net/

Praat has a scripting language associated with it, their web page
describes it, and others have tutorials on Praat scripting (just
search on Google). People I know in this area use EMU as well as
Praat.  From your description of your needs the Praat scripting
language is probably the starting point for you.

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:20:45 +0100, r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch

> From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
> Subject: [R] Prosodic/phonetic analysis with R
> To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm interested in looking (in a beginner's amateurish way)
> at prosodic/phonetic analysis of recorded speech.
>
> In particular I would want to use R to formulate and
> evaluate specific models.
>
> So I would like to ask R people for their recommendations
> for a program which would
>
> a) Take as input a sound file in one of the common formats
>    (".wav", ".au")
>
> b) perform at least basic phonetic analysis (formants, F0,
>    spectrograms, ... )
>
> b) Save to file a representation of the basic phonetic
>    analysis which it has done, in a form which R can readily
>    import and use.
>
> I've come across 'praat':
>
>    http://www.praat.org
>
> which seems to offer a spohisticated range of analyses, though
> it's not too clear from the above URL what can be saved and
> in what format.
>
> I'd be grateful for any comments on using 'praat' with R,
> and/or for any suggestions for other software with commments.
> I only want to hear about software which (like 'praat') is
> GPL or similar.
>
> Thanks,
> Ted.

> E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
> Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861  [NB: New number!]
> Date: 26-Dec-04                                       Time: 10:31:14

Prof. Dr. Shravan Vasishth   Tel (direct): +49-(0)331-977-2457
Juniorprofessor:        Empirical Methods in Syntax Research
Institute for Linguistics, Potsdam University, PO Box 601553
14415 Potsdam, Germany  Tel (secretary): -2016; Fax: -2087
http://www.purl.oclc.org/NET/vasishth