[R] Error in layout(): Too many rows in layout

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Dec 31 08:51:06 CET 2004

Jeroen Van Houtte wrote:

> To display many small graphics one above the another (like Edward Tufte's
> sparklines), I'd like to use layout in the graphics package with more
> than 15 rows.
>
> I found that the limit of 15 is set by
> #define MAX_LAYOUT_ROWS 15

Well, what about replacing 15 by something like 100?
The point is that you should look where MAX_LAYOUT_ROWS is used for
calculations and whether there might result any problem after increasing it.

> in
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/include/Graphics.h
> but I 'm not familiar enough with compilers to modify this.

Looking into your mail header [telling us you are using Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)], I see you are using
Windows and probably never have compiled R yourself (please read the
posting guide which tells you to mention relevant information such as
the OS in use).

Please read the file R/src/gnuwin32/Install.
It tells you how to compile R yourself and which tools are required.

Uwe Ligges