[R] S language

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Feb 4 01:34:22 CET 2004

I'm probably the least authoratative to say anything, but before we get a
flood of messages like this...

(IMHO) in a word, "nothing".

What Insightful aquired (I believe) is the right to the core S code that
were used underneath S-PLUS.  Without this right, Insightful would have to
renew the license with Bell Labs every few years.  That adds some
uncertainty to their business.

R to S-PLUS is sort of like Linux to Unix(TM), from the IP perspective.  It
was written from scratch, without any orginial Bell Labs S source.  Even the
S4 classes implemented in the methods package was a complete
re-implementation, because R and S are so different `under the hood'.

OK, I've say too much already...

Andy