[R] Re: Importing a SAS file to R: Alas, STILL more problems--has anyone gotten this message before, and why

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Feb 9 18:10:07 CET 2004

Vincent Carey 525-2265 <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu> writes:

> i am the author of read.ssd, and did not accommodate sas for
> windows in the creation of that function.  i do not know how
> sas is called under windows, but it is possible that if you
> learn how to invoke sas through the R "system" command, you
> can supply the invocation command as the "sascmd" parameter
> to read.ssd
>
> other ways of transferring the information from SAS to R
> include 1) using a put statement to write the data out record
> by record into a whitespace delimited file, and then using
> read.table in R to collect the data for use in R, 2) using
> read.ssd on a unix system, saving the resulting R object,
> and then transferring the R object back to windows.

...or use various export facilities from the toolbar in SAS for
Windows (availability may or may not require that you have or have not
started the Analyst application...). You can write SPSS .por files
which can be read in R by read.spss, for instance.

Or, create an XPORT library for read.xport with a variation of the
following SAS code snippet.

libname foo xport "foo.xpt";
DATA foo.bar;
set sasuser.bar;