[R] citing a package?

Bob Wheeler bwheeler at echip.com
Mon Feb 9 19:50:22 CET 2004

I faced this problem recently when documenting the AlgDesign package. It
contains some stuff the isn't in the literature, so I added a citation
statement in the AUTHOR section of each function. Even after the
material is published, I think a citation to a working "model" is quite
appropriate.

Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
>

>>Dear Martin,
>>
>>I'd suggest you check the "DESCRIPTION" file and ask the author(s) of the
>>package (e.g., a package might be related to a tech report which might, now,
>>be in press, or whatever).
>>

> The posted suggestions seem to be that you don't cite the package, you
> cite something else vaguely related to it instead.  This violates both the
> purpose of a citation (a link to the original source) and the principle
> (which I hope R users support) that software is publishable in itself, not
> just as an appendage to text.
>
> Most citation styles give rules for citing software and rules for citing
> URIs.  Even when the package author has been completely unhelpful in
> constructing a package title you can still put together a perfectly
> reasonable citation, eg,
>
> Lumley T (2003) Rmeta version 2.10. R package. http://cran.r-project.org
>
> Some publishers might want a download date, or an explicit statement that
> it is software (eg to make searching easier).
>
> 	-thomas

Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
         ECHIP, Inc. ---
Randomness comes in bunches.