[R] R-help

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Thu Feb 12 14:59:34 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 06:36, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:12:01 +0100
> Jim Gustafsson <jgu at codan.dk> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have a problem.
> > I would like to put my SAS-code into R.
> > Could I do that, if yes, how?
> >

> > Best regards
> > Jim Gustafsson
>
> Just reverse the procedure you use when you put R code into SAS.   ;)

This reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein:

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them."

;-)

Jim, just for clarification, do you truly mean the SAS *code* or did you
mean the SAS *dataset*?

If the former, as you are probably picking up, no go. There is no direct
translation. It would be like expecting a C compiler to compile Fortan
code.

If the latter, see either read.ssd() and friends in the 'foreign'
package, which is part of the typical R install OR see Frank's sas.get()
function in the Hmisc package on CRAN. In both cases, you will need an
executable copy of SAS available.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz