[R] AGREP

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Feb 12 16:06:46 CET 2004

One could shorten it slightly with these minor improvements.  Unfortunately, the key performance problem, the double loop
at the end which implements the dynamic programming calculation,
is still there.

levenshtein<-function(s1,s2) {
     # Make sure args are strings
     a <- as.character(s1); an <- nchar(s1)+1
     b <- as.character(s2); bn <- nchar(s2)+1

     # If one arg is an empty string, returns the length of the other
     if (nchar(a)==0) return(nchar(b))
     if (nchar(b)==0) return(nchar(a))

     # Initialize matrix for calculations
     m <- matrix(0, nrow=an, ncol=bn)
     m[1,] <- 1:bn
     m[,1] <- 1:an

     # Cost calculation - line beginning (substr... is 0-1 cost f'n
     for (i in 2:an)
          for (j in 2:bn)
		  m[i,j] <- min( m[i-1,j]+1, m[i,j-1]+1, m[i-1,j-1]+
		       (substr(a,i-1,i-1)!=substr(b,j-1,j-1)) )

     # Returns the distance
     m[an,bn]-1
}

---