[R] aov and Error documentation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 19:29:18 CET 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 demiurg at post.tau.ac.il wrote:

> I could not find any documentation about aov() and Error() usage.
> Both help pages (for aov and Error) does not specify it.

My copy says

     If the formula contains a single 'Error' term, this is used to
     specify error strata, and appropriate models are fitted within
     each error stratum.

and gives an example *and* a reference.  (If you know about this sort of
thing, that is sufficient information. If not, read the reference.)

> I'm mainly interested in aov with random effects.

Depends what you mean by that: it is not what the help pages says it does,
and depending what you mean it may be better to use lme in package nlme.

There are worked examples in MASS (see the FAQ) and this was actaully
implemented in R to support those examples.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk