R for economists (was: [R] Almost Ideal Demand System)

Simon Cullen cullens at tcd.ie
Thu Feb 19 17:40:13 CET 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:06:08 +0530, Ajay Shah <ajayshah at mayin.org> wrote:

<snip R for economists>

> Okay, I made a start, with
>       http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/KB/R/more.html
>
> Tell me what should go into it. :-)

I think the most important thing for economists would be a list of the
common econometric models and how they are accessed in R, for instance
packages and the functions within those packages.

An example is what is known as a Tobit model to econometricians, which is
one type of a survival model (to everybody else!). (This isn't that good
an example as help.search("tobit") would probably turn up the right
library.)

If you could produce a table with Econometrics to R translations that
would be immensely helpful, as a start. I know someone suggested creating
a facility for 'aliasing' econometrics-speak to R functions, but this got
shot down for being unwieldy (rightly so, I think).

I'll let you know if I have any useful suggestions.

--
SC

Simon Cullen
Room 3030