[R] R: Including R plots in a Microsoft Word document

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri Feb 20 19:58:17 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 11:29, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> Newer versions of Word will display postscript and pdf images on-screen,
> so I think these are the way to go. -Frank

Frank is correct on the postscript images. I just tried this with Word
2000, 2002 and 2003.

Word 2002 and 2003 will generate a PS preview image and display that
image on the screen. This is the case with PowerPoint for these versions
as well.

Word 2000 however does not generate the preview on import and only shows
a placeholder and PS file title/header information.

The one possible downside is that if you are only reviewing this on the
screen, which might be a scenario with PowerPoint for example, the fonts
that are generated with the preview image are pretty rough. Presumably,
the preview image is a bitmap. If you are only displaying the image, you
may be better off with the Metafile option.

However, if you print to a PS printer, print to a PS file or have Adobe
or other software to generate a PDF file, this is a non-issue and I
agree with Frank that this would clearly be the way to go.

I could not however find a PDF import filter and upon checking the MS
web site and Knowledge Base, did not see anything listed there.

There is a program called PSToEdit which does have a Word PDF import
filter available, however it is not free as I recall.

Frank, if you know of an alternate PDF import filter or if I missed
something in Word, please correct me.

Thanks for the clarifications Frank.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz