Solved: [R] piece wise application of functions

Itay Furman itayf at fhcrc.org
Sat Feb 21 00:38:46 CET 2004

Thanks!  Especially for pointing out the usage of a 'wrapper'
function in conjunction to lapply. In addition, data
re-organization was important, too, as you pointed out.

My final solution was slightly different than your proposition.
See below.

	Thanks again,
	Itay

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Tom Blackwell wrote:

> If it were my problem, I would re-structure the task around the
> existing capabilities of  lapply().  In particular, I would
> concatenate the three lists of functions, then write a wrapper
> function which takes three arguments:  an index, a list of
> functions and a data set.  Then I would call  lapply()  twice
> to get the result you appear to be asking for.  Here's a rough
> example, untested, which may not work exactly for your situation.
>
> miss.all <- c(missgp0, missgp1, missgp2)
> wrapper  <- function(i, ff, d)  {ff[[i]](d)}
> result.1 <- unlist(lapply(seq(9), wrapper, miss.all, snps.missgp[["ic"]]))
> result.2 <- unlist(lapply(seq(9), wrapper, miss.all, strs.missgp[["ic"]]))
> gaps     <- c(  #  nine multiples of 1e+6 which describe the nine functions )
> result   <- cbind(gaps=gaps, snps=result.1, strs=result.2)

# Make skeleton d.f. for the results
gaps <- data.frame(gap=paste(c(1, 2, 5), "+06", sep="e")
# Re-organize data :-)
# Each interpolation function will operate on a single row
markers <- ( markers <- cbind(strs.missgp[["ic"]],
			      snps.missgp[["ic"]]) )[1:3,]
# A slight different definition: makes explicit the application
# to rows
wrapper <- function(i, ff, d) {ff[[i]](d[i,])}

# Compute. Note the use of sapply()
case0 <- cbind(gaps, t(sapply(seq(3), wrapper, missgp0,
		markers)))
case1 <- cbind(gaps, t(sapply(seq(3), wrapper, missgp1,
		markers)))
case2 <- cbind(gaps, t(sapply(seq(3), wrapper, missgp2,
		markers)))

gaps was a d.f.; therefore, cbind() coerces the result to d.f.
For example:
case0
    gap      strs     snps
1 1e+06 46145.218 374.3882
2 2e+06  2547.841 494.0718
3 5e+06  1372.235 402.9667

> In this case,  result  is a matrix, not a data frame, but you can
> easily convert between the two.
>

> HTH  -  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -

I tried to loop over the indices of case and missgp, 0,1,2,
using assign() but some how failed; and really wanted to go on
with the analysis.

Later, it occured to me that I might have used some wrapper
function in combination with outer(); and the result would be in
the diag()onal. That is because what in fact I was looking for
was an inner prodcut of a vector of functions, with a vector of
arguments.

	Thanks again,
	Itay