[R] Computing the mode

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Feb 24 13:12:17 CET 2004

      The problem is that 'the statistic "mode" of a sample' has no
clear definition.  If the distribution is highly discrete, then the
following will do the job:

 > set.seed(1)
 > X <- rpois(11,1)
 > (nX <- table(X))
0 1 2 3
4 4 2 1
 > names(nX)[nX==max(nX)]
[1] "0" "1"

      However, if the data are continuous with no 2 numbers exactly
equal, then the "mode" depends on the procedure, e.g., the specific
selection of breakpoints for a histogram.  If you insist on finding
something, you can try "www.r-project.org" -> search -> "R site search"
for something like ""nonparametric density estimation" and / or "kernel
density estimator".

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves
      p.s.  This has been discussed recently on this list, but I could
not easily find it in the archives.