[R] Legends text

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Tue Feb 24 18:32:08 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 10:45, Sebastien Durand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to change the color of the text inside a legend, let
> say I would like to use a black background in my legend, how can I
> get the text to show up, it is black!!!
> So for example how could I change it to white...?
>
> Sebastien

legend() does not support an argument to change the text color, so you
have to change the plot parameters prior to calling legend():

# Draw a quick plot
plot(1:5)

# Save the old text color value
col.old <- par("col")

# Set the text color to white
par("col" = "white")

# Draw the legend
legend(1, 5, legend = "Text Goes Here", bg = "black")

# Restore the original text color
par("col" = col.old)

HTH,

Marc Schwartz