[R] structure of mlm objects ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 11:34:27 CET 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, ZABALZA-MEZGHANI Isabelle wrote:

> I am using the function "lm" to fit several responses at the same time (100

Actually of class c("mlm", "lm").

> I would like to know if there is a way to access to each of the 100
> underlying models separately (is it a list, ... ?). Which syntax should I
> use to see and use the 15th model (for instance) just like it is possible
> for classical "lm" objects.

You don't have 100 underlying fits.  All the information is for one set
of x's and 100 sets of y, and that relating only to x is stored only once.
The following simple function will extract the i'th fit.

mlm2lm <- function(fit, i)
{
    for(k in c("coefficients", "residuals", "effects", "fitted.values"))
        fit[[k]] <- fit[[k]][, i]
    class(fit) <- "lm"
    fit
}

albeit with the wrong call, so use carefully.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk