[R] writing polygons/segments to shapefiles (.shp) or other ArCGIS compatible file

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Wed Feb 25 20:20:09 CET 2004

Thanks a lot for the hints. I will try.  Actually I was focusing (in a first stage) on simple segments (small mammal traplines...).
I turned the problem out writing some lines to export the coordinates into a "simple" GRASS ascii file, imported it into GRASS as
vector file and then used the export tool to get  shapefiles...  Not that direct: needs to have GRASS installed and an elementary
knowledge on the export/import commands in this open source GIS.

It would be fantastic to have the reverse functions of Map2poly(Map), Map2lines(Map), Map2points(Map) read.shape (eg poly2map,
lines2map, points2map, and write.map) to write shapefiles.... I must however admit that I don't know enough about shapefile formats
and R programming to do this by myself... and I would unfortunately be really out of my current job in the university...