[R] RE: system.time(), sys.time() etc

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Feb 26 16:08:36 CET 2004

> From: Spencer Graves [mailto:spencer.graves at pdf.com]
>
>       Martin says, "This is another instance of S-Plus following R
> behind and doing it incompatibly [with a reason?] ... ."
>
>       This is one example of a major issue in "how to wage and win a
> standards war", discussed by Shapiro and Varian (1998)
> Information Rules
> (Harvard Business School Press).  Whether you're Bill Gates or Larry
> Ellison, you want to make it easy for people to move to your product
> from a competitor but expensive for your current customers to
> escape to
> the competition.
>
>       Spencer Graves

But I believe neither Insightful nor R-core would want to see each other as
competitor.  (Reality might be quite different.)  It would not be in the
best interest of either party.

(Apologies for putting words in R-Core's mouth.  As for Insightful, at least
that's David Smith's word when he talked about `Future of S-PLUs' at the
2002 Insightful Technology Conference.)

Andy